September 24, 2012, 8:38 am -- /EPR NETWORK/ -- Touch parking is on the rise in Sydney suburbs with nearly 70 per cent of drivers having had their car damaged while it was parked, research by NRMA Insurance has found*.
The insurer's claims data also shows that the Inner City is the place where you're most likely to return to your parked vehicle and find it damaged with no note, followed by the Inner West and Eastern Suburbs.
"Our research showed that a note is left by the offending driver in less than nine per cent of cases", said NRMA Insurance spokesperson Andrew Tubb.
"Sometimes people may not realise they've hit another vehicle or maybe they think it's such a gentle hit they haven't done any damage".
"Although a lot of drivers do not own up to hitting a parked car, there are a lot of witnesses to touch parking - two in three people have seen a car connect with another car while trying to park in a tight spot."
And with increased residents and limited parking spots in many Sydney suburbs, touch parking is likely to be an ongoing issue for NSW drivers.
"We think that at times maybe out of frustration, drivers may try to squeeze their car into a tight spot to rush to their destination".
"No matter what the reason, if drivers do accidently hit a car while parking, we're encouraging them to do the right thing and leave a note - you never know when you might be on the receiving end and find your car damaged," Mr Tubb said.
NRMA Car Insurance offers some
tips to try and avoid touch parking:
- If you hit a parked car, do the right thing and leave a note with your details;
- If you witness a collision, pass on any information you have to the innocent party;
- When looking for a parking spot, consider the size of the park and if there is adequate space for your vehicle; and
- If you have a passenger, ask them to get out and guide you into the parking spot.
* Based on a survey of 450 NSW drivers by Pure Profile Research & on NRMA Insurance car claims data for the financial years 2008-2011.
NRMA Insurance offers a range of products including vehicle insurance, home and contents insurance, CTP Greenslip, motorbike insurance, lifestyle and boat insurance and business insurance. We manage the insurance needs of millions of customers throughout Australia.